my fairy tale come true

Thursday 16 February 2012

Everyone is asking...

It seems like everyday, everyone is asking me the same question:  "Are you ready to go back to work".  It's almost like the more they ask me, the sooner it will come.  To each person my answer is plain and simple; no, I'm not.  
Don't get me wrong, I love my job. I enjoy being around passionate teachers and spending hours a day with children (who at times can be challenging) who are sponges - soaking in the knowledge that we share with them, creating their own path in life. I enjoy all of the fun school activities that help children create memories of their school years and I absolutely love the learning atmosphere within the school.

I have enjoyed the past ten and a half months more than I ever thought possible.  Each and everyday home with my little girl is a gift and I am trying to cherish the precious moments.  I'm amazed at how everyday gets better and better as Kennedy develops more of a personality and is able to interact more with Evan and I.  I feel so fortunate to have spent the beginning part of her life being with her on a daily basis, watching her change and grow.  I think back to those first few, exhausting weeks of sleepless nights and can hardly believe that we are now watching our daughter stand on her own (without holding onto anything) for a few seconds at time.  The changes that have happened amazes me. 

With only a month left of maternity leave, I feel fortunate to have found childcare so close to home, and with a care provider who I not only trust, but have been friends with since childhood.  It takes a load off my shoulders (and the hubby's) to know that she is in good hands and will be cared for by such a wonderful woman.  It's also comforting knowing that I'm only going back to work 80% so I will have that little bit of extra time.  Some of this time will be picking up the little lady early for daycare, while other days I may stay at work to get things done so I don't have to do all that teacher stuff in the evenings and on weekends. Also, the fact that my hubby works shift work is also a blessing in disguise.  Although the twelve hour shifts can be long and draining - especially switching back and forth from nights to days - it allows us to have Kennedy at home for at least one or two daddy-daughter days a week.  I think that this will be a wonderful time for the two of them to hang out and continue to strengthen their bond together. 

So am I looking forward to going back to work?  Not really.  But I think that we will adjust, and it will all be okay. 

2 comments:

  1. You will be okay.

    You can be Becky for a few hours a day instead of just mommy, you can get dressed up and feel confident and the reunion at the end of each day is so incredible.

    We are the lucky few who like our jobs.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. note: I meant besides our "jobs" as moms

    ReplyDelete