my fairy tale come true

Monday 18 June 2012

She's only little once

I always knew that I wanted to be a teacher.  Ever since I was little, that was my plan.
My dream became reality five years ago when I got my first LTO (which is a fancy acronym for saying that I was covering a mat leave).  This was followed by another, and another, and another, before finally landing a half time (permanent) position.  Throw in a year off on my own maternity leave and then follow it was a 0.8 position (the teaching lingo here --- basically means that I was teaching 80% of the week).  It was an ideal situation for me.  With a one year old toddling around at home, I was fortunate enough to have two afternoon's off a week to come home and play with my little girl.  Two afternoons a week to do all of those other chores that I had been neglecting as well.

But it's finally happened.  After five years of teaching, I have finally gotten full time work.  As exciting as it is is to finally have full time (and only a 7 minute drive from my house), I was a bit sad when offered the job.  I really enjoyed my two afternoon's at home with my little girl. So after some discussion with the hubby, we decided that it would be best for our family for me to take a part-time child care leave.  I put in my letter earlier this week and I'm officially back down to teaching 80% of the week!  Go figure eh!  I am fortunate enough to get Monday's off next year.  Woo-hoo! A whole extra day :) 

I look forward to taking Kennedy to swimming lessons, and to Kindergym, and the library, and all those other fun things.  I know that I will never regret spending an extra day a week at home with our little lady.  I will never regret not having the extra moola in the bank account as it doesn't add up to the memories we will share together.  I'm happy to have made the decision (and for a supportive husband who helped make it happen).

Who knows when I will go back to full time.  It's nice to know the option is there, but I feel so fortunate that we are able to do this for our family at this time. 

And on the days when I may ponder our decision, I will remind myself that she is only little once.  I only get to raise her once. 

2 comments:

  1. hehe yay! Congrats to getting full-time and congrats to taking a child care leave. You are too funny - well smart maybe (wait until after they offer it - love it!)

    :)

    You are winning this "blog-posting game"... although, I feel you need to add more photos! (yes, I am allowed to request this as you requested more posts from me!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on full-time! And how lucky you are to be able to spend so much extra days with your little lady.

    I second lindsay's request. More 'photo journals'! After all, she's only little once! Heehee

    ReplyDelete