my fairy tale come true

Sunday 9 September 2012

Fast forward

The other day I was talking to a friend whose daughter is a little older than my own.  She had just had her 18 month appointment and the doc asked her how many words M knew.  Apparently, this doc hopes for 10 words by the time they are a year and a half. 

In my head, I started thinking --- 10 words?  K only says Dada (not only to daddy, but to everyone) and had just started to say mama.  I wouldn't say that I had a panic, as I know all children are different (that was what my undergrad degree was in, so sheesh, I should know that no.two.kids.are.the.same) but I did start to wonder when K would start whipping out more words. Then we wondered if her sign language would count as words as she is able to communicate through sign...that surely would add to the list!

So the other night I actually *thought* about it.  How many words does she know and to my amazement, I was able to count 10.  Now to be honest, some of these words may only be understood by mommy and daddy as they are her own version of the word, but when she says it *we* know what she means.

Then bam.  I wake up this morning and she starts out with THREE more new words before lunch!  I was flabbergasted and so excited! I emailed daddy at work to tell him and wanted to get it on video but haven't caught them yet. 

And so it begins.  Her vocabulary is expanding and mommy thinks it's exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment