my fairy tale come true

Thursday 8 December 2011

Family Traditions

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I love family traditions.  I am so excited to continue family traditions with Kennedy, and to start some new ones of our own.  I think it is an important part of childhood to have fond, happy memories of holidays and special occasions.  They are an opportunity for everyone to stop and appreciate time spent together. 

One tradition that I will do every year (while Kennedy is young), is Christmas outfits.  I think that pulling out the Christmas pj's and little Christmas dresses really puts you in the spirit.  As a teacher, I have an automatic excuse to dress up for the holidays - just like the kids.  Here are a few of K's outfits for 2011
 I love Santa

A pretty Christmas dress

Cozy Christmas pj's (which match two of her baby friends)


We are lucky to have one of Kennedy's Grandma's live along the Santa Claus Parade route of our small town.  The past few years, we have all gone to stand and wave as the floats go by.  Of course, this was K's first experience and I think she loved it!  This was the first day that she waved for the first time - 8 months old.  I think she must have been practising for when Santa drove by :)  I look forward to the upcoming years of the little lady watching, and perhaps even participating in the annual parade. 



This idea came straight from my new favourite website, pinterest.  As a Christmas countdown, for the month of December, Kennedy will unwrap one Christmas book each night to be read together.  Each year, we will recycle the books and wrap them up again (no need to buy 24 new books every year!).  It will be fun for her to have the anticipation of what book it will be each night.  I'm sure that over the years, books will be traded with new books she receives.  I love that this is the gift of reading - something I try to do everyday with Kennedy (and as a teacher, I better practise what I preach).  I also love that this is a gift of time spent cuddling up together.  Reading a book takes 10 minutes of your day - and we must remember to take the time to pause in our busy lives and sit down with our children and dedicate some quiet moments together. 

I love the holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment