my fairy tale come true

Friday 23 September 2011

First foods

So last night was the night we decided that Kennedy was ready to try food for the first time.  I have been doing a lot of reading on BLW and watching videos online and although I was nervous to try it, we gave it a go with some avocados.  The avocado I gave K was pretty ripe, so she was getting it all between her fingers and on her hands.  It was so slippery she had a hard time getting it up off the tray, and dropped it quite a few times, but she did manage to get it in her mouth too.

Unfortunately, mommy got really nervous when she started to gag.  Of course I had the camera snapping pictures and was switching with the video camera to catch these precious moments on film.  It took a lot for me to sit back and let her explore, but when she started going red and gagging, I told Evan that *I* wasn't ready for this.... so instead....

I put her avocado in one of these net things for her to gum and chew.  She likes having frozen grapes in them, so I thought this would be a great opportunity for her to explore the new taste.  Unfortunately, she didn't "get it" and just banged this on her tray.  Time for attempt #3....

The mashed up avocado mixed with her personal favourite bm.  This was quite tasty to the little lady as she moved it around in her mouth and swallowed some.  This picture was taken shortly after she vomited. At least Evan and I were prepared for that, and had a little laugh (at her expense I know). 

So the first food is officially past us.  We will try again today when daddy gets home from work and see how she likes it again today. 

2 comments:

  1. How do you like the net thing? I considered getting one to make "momsicles" with (frozen breast milk) - and other frozen fruits.

    Depending on the food I find that Eli likes both chunks and purees. He often grabs for the spoon to feed himself. Usually I'll start with a chunk for him to play, and then mash it up to actually eat. He likes sucking the juice out of a slice of pear and apple. So far the clear favourite is apples (applesauce, actually).

    Yums!
    ps. gagging is normal. It is how they move the food around their mouths - although scary!
    pps. Eli found his peas disgusting. Although I used canned peas. Aly told me that canned peas are almost inhumane (ha ha ha. I wouldn't know, I don't eat peas!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You fed him canned peas? UCK! Ali is right, they are inhumane!
    K likes the net for grapes (that is really all she has figured out so far. We freeze them but it doesn't take long for the juice to be running down her chin). It is a pain to clean though.
    We did avacado again last night - today we will try banana! mmmm

    ReplyDelete