my fairy tale come true

Sunday 4 September 2011

How can I forget?

Throughout my pregnancy, and in the first few weeks after Kennedy's birth, I remember people telling me things that I would shake my head at.  For example, they would say "Oh, they grow so fast" and "I can't remember when mine were that small".  I would think to myself, come on people - it was your first born child, how can you simply forget how small they were?  It's such an amazing time in your life, it can't just disappear from your memory.

Fast forward to this past Friday.  One of my best friends had a beautiful baby boy and off we drove to the big city to see him for the first time.  He was only 15 hours old when I got to hold him for the first time (which selfishly, I asked to hold him first as I knew that K would need a feed *soon* - sorry M.A.) As he was placed in my arms, weighing a mere 7lbs 7oz, he felt like a preemie!  Now, I know that a 7lb 7oz baby is a good sized baby but I heard myself saying one of those things that people said to me "Mine was never that small".  Kennedy was 8obs 1 oz at the time of her birth and although she did drop a little weight in the days after, she was always above Colton's weight.  Now I found myself thinking that I truly did not remember when she was that small.  Jeez Louise.  The comments that I found so ridiculous from people only months before were now coming out of my mouth only 5 months after my little girl was born.  You really do forget!  Can it be blamed on mommy brain? (which really does exist.  I tell my husband all the time.  Preggo brain aka "forget things that you should remember brain", does turn into mommy brain.  And mommy brain is also "forget what you should remember brain".... I hear it lasts forever and never goes away - sorry Evan).

These comments came back to me again today as I finally started to put the 300 pictures I have had printed of Kennedy into a photo album.  As I placed them into the album and wrote comments in the margins, I really and truly thought to myself that I could not remember when she was that small.   Thank goodness for digital cameras and video cameras.  I'm afraid if I don't capture it on film or video, I may just forget.

Now I wonder if I will turn into one of them.  One of those people who says "I can't remember when Kennedy was that small"..... Gosh, I hope that I don't become annoying like that.  The next thing I know, I will tell pregnant women to sleep while they can.  Like you can bank up your good nights sleep.  Sheesh.

Colton and Kennedy (a picture to help me remember their size!)

No comments:

Post a Comment